Current:Home > reviewsAngelina Jolie takes opera role in 'Maria' after an ex was 'not kind to' her about her singing -Infinite Edge Learning
Angelina Jolie takes opera role in 'Maria' after an ex was 'not kind to' her about her singing
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 03:31:44
Angelina Jolie is finding her voice.
The "Maleficent" star, 49, spoke with The Hollywood Reporter in an interview published Friday about starring as opera singer Maria Callas in the buzzy new biopic "Maria," which premiered Thursday at the Venice Film Festival. Jolie revealed she was nervous to sing in the movie after an ex made her question her musical abilities.
"It was an out-of-body experience because I don't sing," she shared. "I had somebody in my life who was not kind to me about singing. It was a relationship I was in. And so I just assumed I couldn't really sing."
She continued, "I'd been to theater school, so it was weird that it even had an effect on me. I just kind of adapted to this person's opinion. So it took me getting past a lot of things to start singing."
Jolie did not name the ex in question. She worked on "Maria" with director Pablo Larraín, who is known for directing Natalie Portman in the Jacqueline Kennedy biopic "Jackie" and Kristen Stewart in the Princess Diana biopic "Spencer." Both Portman and Stewart received Oscar nominations for the performances.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Angelina Joliewalks Tony Awards red carpet with daughter Vivienne Jolie-Pitt: See the photos
In a press conference Thursday at the Venice Film Festival, Jolie shared that she was "terribly nervous" to sing in "Maria" and spent "almost seven months" training to do so.
"My first time singing, I remember being so nervous," she recalled. "My sons were there, and they helped to block the door (so) that nobody else was coming in. I was shaky. ... I was frightened to live up to her, and I had not sung in public."
Angelina Jolieopens up about Brad Pitt divorce, how 'having children saved me'
But Jolie, who previously won the Academy Award for best supporting actress for "Girl, Interrupted," has already been receiving Oscar buzz for the role. A video shared on social media by Variety showed the actress getting emotional during a standing ovation at Venice that reportedly lasted eight minutes.
When asked about the Oscar talk during the Venice press conference on Thursday, Jolie said her main concern was impressing fans of Callas and opera in general.
"My fear would be to disappoint them," she said, adding, "I didn't want to do a disservice to this woman."
In the interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Jolie also suggested she will leave Los Angeles when her children are older.
"I am here because I have to be here from a divorce, but as soon as they're 18, I'll be able to leave," she said. "When you have a big family, you want them to have privacy, peace, safety. I have a house now to raise my children, but sometimes this place can be … that humanity that I found across the world is not what I grew up with here."
veryGood! (7316)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Defense secretary tells US Naval Academy graduates they will lead ‘through tension and uncertainty’
- American ex-fighter pilot accused of illegally training Chinese aviators can be extradited to U.S., Australian judge says
- Kentucky awards contract to replace unemployment insurance system that struggled during the pandemic
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Missing womens' bodies found buried on farm property linked to grandma accused in complex murder plan, documents show
- West Virginia Gov. Justice ends nearly two-year state of emergency over jail staffing
- Missouri lawmaker says his daughter and her husband were killed in Haiti while working as missionaries
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Massachusetts governor adds to number of individuals eyed for pardons
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- 8 injured in airboat crash in central Florida, deputies say
- The Celtics are special. The Pacers, now down 2-0, have questions about Tyrese Haliburton's health.
- 'Atlas' review: Jennifer Lopez befriends an AI in her scrappy new Netflix space movie
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- See memorials in Uvalde and across Texas that honor victims of Robb Elementary shooting
- Home prices reach record high of $387,600, putting damper on spring season
- How Beyonce’s Mom Tina Knowles Supported Kelly Rowland After Viral Cannes Incident
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Oilers' Connor McDavid beats Stars in double overtime after being robbed in first OT
Video shows Nissan SUV catch on fire in family's driveway; carmaker is investigating
Drake jumps on Metro Boomin's 'BBL Drizzy' diss
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Case dismissed against Maryland couple accused of patient privacy violations to help Russia
See memorials in Uvalde and across Texas that honor victims of Robb Elementary shooting
Charles Barkley says 'morale sucks' as 'Inside the NBA' remains in limbo for TNT